MBBS in USA is very prestigious and many medical students aspire to study from there. But there is a misconception that Medical Colleges in US are expensive and out of the reach. But the reality is that studying MBBS in US is not as costly as it is in India. And the added advantage is that for the cost of studying MBBS in India, you can complete your Medical PG in US. The MCI has approved many Universities in the USA from which you can complete your medical studies and come back to practice in India.
How to Apply
There are 2 ways to study medical in US.
- You have to appear for MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) that is conducted in the US and qualify in it. Just like in India, the MCAT is highly competitive and every year, local students in the US appear for the exam to get admission in the highest ranking medical college in US. You can appear in MCAT after completing your pre-medical course with higher than the cut-off marks in it. But this is a very competitive and expensive option to study medical in US.
- You can go through the Caribbean route for an easier and cheaper way to complete your medical education in the US. The Universities in Caribbean Islands provide education for the first 3.5 years – 4 Trimesters. The rest of the 6 years would be in the mainland USA.The Spartan Health & Science University also has provisions for scholarships for Indian students.
The total course duration for completing MBBS in the US is 9 years, if you clear all the exams in first attempt.
Scholarship for MBBS in US
The Spartan Health and Science University in the US is providing scholarships to deserving Indian students. If you meet the criteria for the scholarship and apply within the timeframe, you can avail an amount of Rs 12.5 lakh. The scholarship is available for all students who have cleared their 12th standard in science stream.
Benefits of MBBS in US
Apart from the fact that you get to study in one of the most developed countries in the world, there are more advantages of studying MBBS in US.
- The Medical Council of India does not screen students who have completed their medical studies from an MCI approved University of US.
- Medical students in US Universities can earn anywhere from US$ 3,500 to US$ 5,000 per month as stipend. This reduces the total cost of your medical studies.
- There is no separate capitation fee for PG in US, which can be as high as Rs 2 crore in Indian medical colleges. Moreover, you can even get stipend while pursuing your PG.